Sunday, January 10, 2016

ISO Rodney Coyne or Alan Rowntree Regarding Henderson Family Near Coupar Angus

I recently came across an archived query from 1998 on the now-defunct Rootsweb Message Boards that interested me greatly. Unsurprisingly, since seventeen years have passed, my email to the original poster bounced.

The original message can be viewed here, but I am pasting in the content in case anyone recognizes Mr. Coyne of South Africa, the Henderson family in Scotland about whom he writes, or Mr. Rowntree, the single respondent to his query (whose email was also unavailable).

On 23 January 1998, Mr. Rodney Coyne of Pietermaritzburg, South Africa wrote:

My wife is a Henderson - her family have lived for generations on the farm Balbrogie near the village of Coupar Angus - she still has cousins living there. An aunt has most of the family history, but says that there is a gap between Andrew and his son Alexander ca,1600 and William Henderson who married Margaret Payot ca.1700. The family were involved in the `Gowrie Plot' but I have no details of this at present. Towns associated with the family are Cargill, Bendochy, and Collace. Farms connected with the family are Lawton (spelled`Latoun' ca 1600) and Balbrogie. If anyone would like to exchange information on this branch of the Hendersons could they please contact me .

On 3 March 2010, Mr. Alan Rowntree responded:

I believe your William Henderson was the son of John Henderson in Nether Balmyll (Balmyle) and Balbrogie. John died in 1676. John was the son of James Henderson (or Petrie)who died in 1637 and married Isobell Blair. John Henderson had a brother (another) William who died in 1658. (That is my descent) I cannot go back further than James/Isobell.

If you know the poster, the respondent, or have any information about this Henderson family described living near Coupar Angus, please email me directly.

No comments: