Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Red Letter Day for Genealogy

Well, when it rains, it pours. Two new and intersting contacts made today. Mary Ellis, County Coordinator for Alamance NCGenWeb, contacted me out of the blue with the good news that she and I are related on both the Henderson and the Murray lines. The Murray connection is relatively recent, the Henderson connection further back and through a female line, which is always nice since the females are so under-represented in genealogy. Curiously though, Mary's genealogy provided me with a date that came in handy later in the evening when I found another Henderson researcher of a most unexpected nature.

I was piddling around out on Facebook (one of the exceedingly rare times that I have actually spent any time doing that) and I came across a group called "Henderson Clan" which I tried to join, only to find that it was a closed group a single family of Hendersons who descend from James Henderson b. 1815 in Onslow County, NC . (Search on the group in Facebook and you'll see why I found the connection so startling and interesting.) After a wee bit of explanation, administrator Lisa Henderson let me join the group and we are working together to see if we can see a logical place where her line fits in with either of our Onslow County Henderson groups. One of the dates supplied to me earlier in the afternoon by Mary seemed eerily helpful. We'll see what pans out as I review the stacks of notes I have on the Henderson clan, but I was glad to meet Lisa and learn about her line.

No comments: